Top 10 Cyber Security Tips
Summarized from a podcast with Matthew Holland, CEO of Field Effect Security. My secrets aren’t worth my doing all of this, or insisting that my spouse or children do all these, but they’re all worth thinking about. Certainly worthy of consideration by anyone involved in real journalism.
- Reboot your mobile device(s) every morning
- Use a microphone/camera blocker on all devices/computers when not in use
- Use Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) with all email/cloud/web accounts
- Use a Password Manager (with strong passwords, no password reuse)
- Use a Virtual Private Network (VPN), make sure the VPN vendor is based in a friendly country!
- Make sure all devices/computers are fully patched (operating system/software/apps are always updated)
- Don’t post addresses, phone numbers or email account information on social media
When travelling, don’t use airport/plane/hotel Wi-Fi networks unless absolutely necessary (and use a VPN if you do!)
- At home, don’t use the Wi-Fi network provided by your ISP modem (use a separate Wi-Fi router)
- Keep home IoT (smart speakers, TVs, etc) on a separate Wi-Fi network from devices/computers